Sunday, April 11, 2010

Clash! Sac'ea Tau vs Red Talon Space Marines (750 pts).





Had a heck of a game today, really close one too. I had a lot of anticipation going into this game, having wanted to play against this particular opponent for some time. The last turn came down to some lucky dice rolls. Here's a synopsis.

Pre-Game.

The game was a Seize Ground with 4 objectives. We set up the table: A ruined chemical factory, surrounded by toxic waste, drums and the remnants of a bunker. Forest was beginning to creep back into the area. The Sac'ea Tau, having taken casualties from the Imperial Guard and Eldar were attempting to secure fuel to retreat the remnants of the cadre off-world when they encountered the Red Talon Marines, out to spill Xenos blood. Kallisto had become too costly for the Tau to continue the campaign any further, but if they wanted to escape this hell-hole, they had to take the fight to the Red Talons.

The Chemical Factory:




I rolled my secret objective - keep my commander alive. After deploying objectives, we rolled for the deployment type - Pitched Battle. We rolled off, my opponent won the roll and chose to allow me to go first. I chose the table quarter that was forested, forcing my opponent in the ruins and the crashed space craft seen on the right in the above photo. I deployed in a defensive formation, setting up to advance with my Devilfish, Piranha and suits. I opted to infiltrate my Kroot across the table on top of the objective in the forest. My opponent deployed his marines and rhinos in a standard set-up, ready to advance on my position. My opponent failed to sieze the initiative.
My defensive position, behind the ruined fence. Firewarrior team Alpha, supported by Pathfinder team Echo.



Kroot holding their forest.


My opponent's objective, held by a supporting Marine squad:



Turn 1
Scattered shooting from both sides. My first turn was quite successful - my Monat XV8's missile pods wrecked my opponent's Rhino that carried his HQ. The marine's return fire was ineffective. His HQ squad advanced while his other rhino advanced towards one of the objectives and popped smoke.
My XV8's advanced, Pathfinder team Echo's Devilfish picked up Firewarrior team Bravo and advanced with the Piranha towards the chemical factory.

Pirahna



Turn 2
My XV8's continued their advance, Commander Bold Spear began using the chemical factory as a position to leap out from to barrage the marines, while the Monat XV8 made similar use of an old chemical drum. The Devilfish advanced with the Pirahna, while the hammerhead continued bombarding the marines from afar. Few marines fell, however the XV8 Monat's missile pods struck again, causing the second Rhino to explode, despite its smokescreen. The explosion claimed one marine, while the others went to ground, pinned for my opponent's turn. My opponent's retaliatory fire caused my Piranha's crew to become shaken.

View from the end of turn 2




The advancing skimmers


The Hammerhead takes position to aim it's burst cannons towards the expected deep-striking terminators:


Menacing! The Railgun must be warped though, throughout the Kallisto campaign the gun proved ineffective. The Earth Caste will have to refit Hammerhead gunship "Prosper" once off-world. A veteran of three campaigns, "Prosper" needs extensive refit and maintenance.



Turn 3
In turn 3 I continued my aggressive push, the Devilfish and Piranha layed down fire on the marines, while my suits peppered the squads advancing on the objective in the open. Return from the marines caused no casualties.

Turn 4
The terminators finally arrived at the end of turn 4, killing half of Firewarrior team Alpha in their opening salvo. Ouch. I continued pressure on the second front, causing some more marine casualties.

Cue dramatic music



Turn 5
I advanced my Piranha and Devilfish, dropping off drones and troops to contest objectives, The terminators lived up to their reputation as they shrugged off fire from the Firewarrior and Pathfinder teams, the Kroot Auxillaries, Commander Bold Spear AND the Hammerhead while taking a single casualty. When assaulted, a Firewarrior somehow killed the Terminator Sergeant, while the rest eliminated the squad. Remarkably, the drone contesting my opponent's objective survived the assault against a space marine sergeant and captain. The other objective was contested by my Piranha's drones, while the Pirahna exploded from a marine rocket. The game ended at turn 5, with a win for me, holding a single objective. I also achieved my secret objective, since Commander Bold Spear survived. Until next tourney!

They came from.....behind!



Gone Fishin'



This Drone deserves a promotion

No comments:

Post a Comment